NOTE: Before configuring outlook, ensure the user has IMAP enabled on their Kean Google account.
1. Open Outlook. At the top of the Outlook window, click on the File tab, then click on the Account Settings option. A drop down menu should appear, click on the Account Settings option.
a. If this is the user's first time opening outlook click on the next > button at the startup "welcome to outlook" screen. Then click on the next > button again to set up an email.
b. If this is not the user's first time in outlook, the directions in step 1 should take you to the screen below. Simply click on the New... button to begin adding the account.
2. Outlook may try to associate an email account; however click on the Manually configure server settings or addition server types button, then click on the Next > button.
3. Click on the Internet E-mail button, then click on the Next > button.
3. You can now configure the user's Kean Google account by entering the following settings:
a. Your Name: Enter the user's full name.
b. Email Address: Enter the user's Kean Google email address.
c. Account Type: Select the IMAP option from the dropdown menu.
d. Incomming Mail Server: imap.gmail.com
e. Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.gmail.com
f. Username: Enter the user's Kean Google email address.
g. Password: Have the user enter their Kean Google password.
4. Click on the More Settings ... button.
5. You can now configure the user's Kean Google account by entering the following settings:
a. Incoming server: Select SSL from the dropdown menu for incoming server. Then type 993 into the textbox for incoming server.
b. Outgoing server: Select TLS from the dropdown menu for outgoing server. Then type 587 into the textbox for outgoing server.
c. Verify settings before continuing. Selecting a dropdown menu may override what you wrote in the textbox depending on what version of outlook you are in.
6. Click the Outgoing Server tab. Click on the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication checkbox. Then, click the Use same settings as my incoming mail server button. Finally, click the OK button.
7. Verify information in the Add New Account window. Then, click the Next > button in the Add New Account window.
5. The account should now be added. Otherwise, be sure you have the correct settings. It should also be noted that the user's Kean Google password should be "strong" (8 characters minimum, capital & lower case, a special character, and numbers should be included.) If you are getting authentication errors, it is recommended you try having the user change their password to a strong password.
Note: If you get an error like the message below, the user did not enable IMAP within their Kean Google account. See below for steps on how to enable IMAP within a user's Kean Google account.
If this error is received please double check the password
Log into browser to verify that password is correct. Once done please go to http://www.google.com/a/kean.edu/UnlockCaptcha Fill out form Click Unlock
You should receive the message below
If the form does not work please have the client log into their gmail account and change the password to a stronger password.
After they have logged in please go to Accounts and then change password and fill out form
Next got to Forwarding and POP/IMAP under the Settings in the clients email account Make sure Enable Imap radio button is selected Click Save Changes
Go back to Outlook and click on Inbox and select F9 to synch You should then see the Gmail; All Mail,Drafts, Sent Mail, etc. Appear You are then complete
File-> Account Settings-> Account Settings